Friday, March 26, 2010

Happy Birthday, Mama.

Dear Mom,
You are 59 today. The world was pretty different on the day you were born.
Just google image search the cover of "Life" magazine on the day you were born:


Yes. The world was cuter then, on the day you were born. (Which, speaking of, I don't think I know any details of your birth. I assume your dad wasn't there. I assume that you were born at some time, on this day, and that they thought you would be named "Myra." I would like more information, please.)

But today you are 59, which means that you have one year left to do all those crazy things you were going to do before you turned 60. I believe they probably included:

  • Get married.
  • Have children.
  • Accidentally flash people by showing them how you could still fit your feet behind your head when you didn't know you had a split in your pants.
  • Watch every episode of "Nova" ever filmed.
  • Slap your spouse for flipping your bra strap.
  • Laugh at your spouse when he gets stuck on the roof, then take pictures, but forget to take off the camera lense cover.
  • Walk on the wild side and eat the end of the orange slice candy that your fingers actually touched.
  • Develop a bit of a swearing habit.
  • Give up wheat for New Year 2005 and decide you like it so much, give it up altogether.
  • Still cover your mouth and kind of screech when you really laugh at cards in the card aisle.
  • Keep the Danish Dessert company in business.

Aw, Mom. I wish I could be with you on your birthday, to see you accomplish all your magnificent goals. May all your dreams come true this year. I love you so. :)

Just for you--a gluten free cake wreck:

*Becca

2 comments:

Mom said...

Awww, shucks- thanks for the post! In my own defense, when I slapped your dad for flipping my bra he was NOT then my spouse- and he never tried it again, thank you. I was born just after lunch, (12:35 pm) and the grass in the park across the street from my home was planted the same day- pretty old grass I say. Thanks to all for the phone calls and happy wishes- I love you all!

lesli said...

Happy birthday Denise,

Hope you get to stay up late watching an old movie and sleep till noon!

Lesli