Monday, April 5, 2010

In a room, by a river, in the South...

So I'm sitting in a dark hotel room on the west side of the Ashley River in Charleston.

If that description means nothing to you then, don't worry, it didn't mean much to me until today either.

Last night, I stayed up with Mom and Dad going 'round the mulberry bush of trying to decide if we should drive up to Washington DC today. Eventually we gave up and decided to NOT make a decision, and eat fudge instead.

That's usually a safe course of action.

This morning we finally let go of Washington and decided to come down to South Carolina, with it's official slogan of "It's not Washington DC, but it's a heckofalotcloser."

We got to Charleston at about 3:45. We then spent the next hour looping around and around trying to find our hotel. This included many sharp left turns into parking lots, Mom yelling "GOGOGO! NOW!" as I floored my gas pedal and tried to cross four lanes of traffic going 60+ mile per hour, and the lady at the front desk of the hotel trying to explain to me how to get here and talking to me like I was a four year old with crossed eyes. Good times.

And, of course, the SpringHill Suites is every bit as blissful as it should be. $12.99 to watch an in-room movie, $2.99 to watch Curious George on PBS Kids, and a microwave that is at the perfect height for an 18 month old to try and stick her head in it and turn it on. This is why Mom and Dad are now "out on the town" in Charleston, and I stayed here to get my kids in bed. I thought my head was going to explode, between Ainsley's wails of misery and Emily and Caleb's "He touched me!" "She breathed on me!" "His breath STINKS!!" game. But they are all asleep now.

Glory be.

Now if Mom and Dad can manage to find their way back and if Emily will just NOT pee the bed, I think we'll consider the trip a success.

Love you. :)
Becca

No comments: