Sunday, April 11, 2010

egg drop











This week at school Ellie's class was doing the ol egg drop experiment. Drop your egg from the roof of the building and if it isn't cracked you win. It sounded easy enough--I myself had never done one, but I figured if I can swaddle a baby I can surely keep an egg from breaking. Turns out I was wrong. dropping an egg 4 stories and having it land intact is no easy task. We had lost about 7 eggs when Adam got home. He went right to the Internet and starting compiling supplies. While he was busy building his contraption--which wasn't working because our eggs were too large--Ellie stuck her egg into a roll of paper towels. Adam saw it and knew we had a winner. sure enough four stories later the egg came out unscathed and Ellie was proclaimed a genius.








Everyone was pretty pumped--everyone except her older brother who had to take a big piece of humble pie--his egg wrapped in lafe's diaper had failed miserably. Luckily, the next day, a few engineering majors stopped by and gave him the balloon parachute idea--it did work but the victory wasn't quite as sweet.








sorry I didn't get a picture of the winning design, but hopefully you will get the idea.




2 comments:

Becca said...

I.love.it. LOVE IT. I can just so perfectly imagine the whole family getting into this experiment and I'm so proud of Ellie for figuring it out on.her.own.

And is googling directions for something like this cheating? I mean, I'm just wondering...

Adam S. said...

It may be cheating, butyou still have to build it. At any rate, I stick to the old saying: "If you aren't cheating then you aren't trying hard enough."