Saturday, May 15, 2010

Jamberry.



It's strawberry picking time around here.
We've gone strawberry picking for the past three years. I love going and finding our own berries, even though they're way more expensive than just buying them at the store.

I like to believe that they taste better.


And for the third year in a row, we made strawberry freezer jam. Which makes you very.very. aware of how much sugar is in jam.
Which is why it's so good to eat by the spoonful. (Almost makes me glad to be celiac. No need to bother with pesky bread. Straight to the good stuff.)
The kids were super helpful this year.
Emily cut off the tops and smashed the berries with the potato masher.
Caleb stirred the berries and sugar together, then added the lemon juice and pectin before dumping them into their containers.
And Ainsley? She tested the "di-dees" to make sure they tasted alright. She seemed to approve.

3 comments:

Mom said...

I love it! It want to come pick some too, and then taste the finished product. By the spoon full is okay by me, though if my memory serves (FIVE years G Free now!) freezer jam justifies the existence of white bread like nothing else in the world.

Adam S. said...

you should start a jam making camp for kids--it would be huge!

Looks like fun.

Jen Nielsen said...

Like I said, your kids have the best childhood ever!!!!!