Sunday, September 26, 2010

Mammoth Lakes

My research group went on a retreat to Mammoth Lakes (paid for by Howard Hughes, not our federal government grants). It was a fun time.
The biggest event is that I saw a bear on my morning run. It was about 20 feet away from me. We saw each other at the same time and I had three options: play dead, wave my hands and scare him off (I'm told this is possible with CA bears), or just act natural and keep running. I chose the third option, and it worked out. It was probably the same bear that left scratches on the door of the cabin we stayed in:
Other than that we went on some great hikes, and spent half of each day listening to each other give science talks.

This is me at Devil's Postpile National Monument:
Some of my group at the base of Crystal Crag (the professor I work for just left of me in the gray jacket and sunglasses):
This is a lookout on the drive. We passed through Yosemite National Park. The farthest peak to the right of my head is the famed Half Dome in the Yosemite Valley.
Click the link below to see the entire photo album:
http://picasaweb.google.com/asmithw/GrovesRetreat#

1 comment:

Becca said...

This looks so cool, Adam. Although I'm pretty sure I would've peed my pants, had I run into a bear, while jogging. Because I hate jogging. It was nice to talk to you for a couple minutes tonight--I didn't get a chance to ask more about Lafe's birthday. Hope it was great!!